HR Service Delivery
Human Resources at Ohio State is adopting a more modern, efficient and effective service delivery model to provide high-quality, consistent support to current and prospective faculty, staff and students. The Ohio State community will benefit from more self-service options to get what they need, when they need it—as well as continued support for the moments when you need personalized HR services. HR Service Delivery is a key pillar of HR’s strategic plan and falls under the umbrella of the Enterprise Project.
HR Service Delivery (HRSD) includes:
- An optimized service model and business processes
- Consistency in HR roles and responsibilities
- Service-enabling technology, such case management and knowledge base tools
Future HRSD Model
The below graphic represents the future HR Service Delivery model launching in January 2020. Working within colleges and units, Strategic Partners and Service Partners (on the left) will deliver services based on the needs of the individual area. Providing consistent services across the university, Centers of Expertise and Services Teams (on the right) will deliver HR in a shared services capacity. The model will be supported through technology that will empower HR professionals with the right tools, data, analytics and reporting.
Access this graphic, HRSD key messages and presentation slides in the HRSD Communication Toolkit.
Why We’re Changing
As part of the 2018-2023 Human Resources strategic plan, the new HR Service Delivery model seeks to provide an exceptional HR experience to the Ohio State community. Through the service delivery model, the Office of Human Resources seeks to realize the following benefits for the larger Ohio State community:
A Leading Faculty, Staff and Student Experience: Moments that matter to faculty, staff and students will be delivered in a seamless and consistent manner across the university through a variety of channels
Consistent and Streamlined Processes: Consistent and streamlined processes across the university and medical center will offer necessary flexibility in delivering HR support
Data and Transaction Integrity: New data governance structures and related automated internal controls will maintain quality data and decrease transaction errors
Clear Pathways to HR Career Progression: Enable clear career pathways within HR, and will increase bandwidth for HR professionals to support career progression strategies for faculty, staff and students
Risk Reduction: Reduce operational, security, compliance and financial risk across the organization
HR Service Delivery Key Activities
Completed Activities – Through February 2019
- Conducted interviews with a group of HR professionals and members of the Ohio State community to identify opportunities for improvements in HR services
- Held organizational design sessions with HR leaders and HR professionals to create future-state roles and responsibilities to begin defining the organization
- Completed the Activity Baseline Survey to understand where work is being done
- Conducted impact analysis to inform change management efforts such as training, communications and readiness efforts
- Secured commitments for participation in pilot
- Completed socialization plan for policy impacts
In Progress Activities - January 2019 – January 2020
- Developing HR communications and engagement plan to transparently inform the Ohio State community on changes
- Shaping and classifying HR roles in alignment with Career Roadmap and Workday
- Conducting transition activities for the HR workforce to support the new model
- Surfacing and resolving decisions
- Validating organizational design and end-to-end processes in conjunction with the Workday team
Future Activities – April 2019 – January 2020
- Share detailed future organizational structure with university leaders and the HR community
- Develop HR career progression plans to map potential career growth opportunities
- Define, develop and deliver training to prepare HR employees for transition to work in the new model.
- Execute university and medical center communications campaign to provide ongoing awareness and support.